washington state law


Recreational Marijuana in Washington: Initiative 502 (I-502)

A brief history​

I-502  "marijuana reform" was an initiative to the Washington State  Legislature, which appeared on the November 2012 general ballot, passing  by a margin of approximately 56 to 44 percent. Voters in Washington  State made history by passing I-502, which legalizes, taxes, and  regulates marijuana for adults age 21 and over. According to the  Secretary of State's office, the measure shall "license and regulate  marijuana production, distribution, and possession for persons over  twenty-one; remove state-law criminal and civil penalties for activities  that it authorizes; tax marijuana sales; and earmark marijuana-related  revenues."

Q: Where can I buy marijuana in Washington State?

A: At our store, Cascade Kropz, located in Arlington, WA!! Cascade Kropz is a recreational cannabis retail store licensed in accordance with the Washington State Liquor & Cannabis Control Board. Our store  is devoted only to the sale of cannabis and cannabis products. However,  cannabis consumption of any kind is strictly prohibited on the  premises.

​Q: Where can I smoke cannabis in Washington State?

A:  On private property and outside the view of the general public.  Initiative 502 states that it is unlawful to open/consume a package of  marijuana or marijuana infused product in view of the general public.

Q: What is the Washington State marijuana law?

A:  If you are 21 years of age or older in Washington State, you will not be prosecuted under state law for the possession or use of:

-One ounce of usable marijuana

-Marijuana-related paraphernalia

-16 ounces of solid marijuana-infused product

-72 ounces of liquid marijuana-infused product ​

- 7 grams of cannabis concentrates

Q: What is "usable marijuana"?

A: According to I-502, "usable marijuana" refers to the dried marijuana flowers. ​

Q: What is a "marijuana-infused product"?

A:  According to I-502, these are "products that contain marijuana or  marijuana extracts and are intended for human use". This could include things that you consume like baked goods, drinks, or candy. Vaporizers,  also referred to as vape pens or vapor inhalers, have become the popular  "smokeless" ways to consume marijuana, but still require "useable  marijuana".

Q: What remains illegal in Washington State, both now and in the future?

A: Even after I-502 is fully implemented, the following will continue  to be illegal under the Washington State recreational marijuana law:

-Possession of amounts above the defined limit

-Possession by a person under the age of 21 years

-Use in view of the general public, including the opening and/or consumption of a marijuana infused product

-Transportation of marijuana products to another state

-Driving under the influence of marijuana - It is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana if you have more than 5 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood. Doing so may result in significant legal penalties.

-Production or sale without a state license

Important Notice: Washington's I-502 does not preempt federal law. The production,  distribution, sale, possession, and use of marijuana is still against  and may be prosecuted under US federal law. Washington State visitors should be aware that pot use and possession remains a criminal act on  federal lands, which includes the national parks and national forests. Tribal lands will also enforce their own policies regarding marijuana  use and possession. The above information has been provided as a general  guide. It is your responsibility as a consumer to understand your  rights, and obey the law.

For more information to help you better understand WA law as it pertains to recreational cannabis use click the link below. 

please enjoy responsibly.

 Marijuana products may be purchased or possessed only by persons 21 years of age or older.(a) "This product has intoxicating effects and may be habit forming.";(b) "Marijuana can impair concentration, coordination, and judgment. Do not operate a vehicle or machinery under the influence of this drug."; (c) "There may be health risks associated with consumption of this product."; and(d) "For use only by adults twenty-one and older. Keep out of the reach of children."